So it’s that time of year where it gets pretty nippy. This means we need some real wholesome food to warms us up!
One of my latest go to recipe when batch cooking is this lovely peanut butter and sweet potato stew.
The ingredients are pretty simple:
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp of minced Garlic
- 1 tsp of minced Ginger
- Crushed Red chilli pepper – (I use ‘lazy chopped chilli’ to avoid the nightmare that is chopping up chilli)
- 1 medium onions
- 2 medium Sweet potato – this will need to be peeled and chopped up
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tin of chopped tomato
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 Vegetable stock – add the cube to 300ml of water to make a broth
- 2 cups of frozen peas or corn
- 2 cups of kale
- 5 heaped spoonful of peanut butter (Try going for an organic brand with none of the nasty stuff)
- Make the vegetable broth – 1 stock cube in 300ml of water water
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes
- Chop up the onions
- Mince the garlic cloves and ginger
Now for the ‘How to’:
- First thing first, heat up your oil in a large pot
- Cook your onions till they are see through and soft. I use red onions as it is currently my favourite but for a less overpowering flavour use a brown onion
- Add the tomato puree, garlic, ginger and chill according to your tastes. Allow this to cook for 3-5minutes stirring to prevent burning your pot.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it has lost the tartness
- Then add the peanut butter. You can go big at this this stage to get that ubber creamy taste.
- Now add the vegetable broth made by mixing your veggie stock cube in 300ml of water
- Then add in the chopped sweet potato and leave it to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the washed and drained kidney beans, peas, spinach and cook till the spinach is suitable wilted.
Finally, serve alone or add brown rice. I personally have it a standalone meal as it truly filling. Now dig out that blanket and snuggle up and enjoy.
Looking forward to hearing how you find it.
Enjoy the Yummy goodness x
2 thoughts on “Vegan Winter Warmer”
This looks great! I’m definitely going to try it out . What oil did you use because it looks a bit red? And adding peanut butter is a completely new concept for me ! – I’m using to having it on bread and recently started having it in my porridge and now in a stew? – wow haha it’s amazing the things we can do with food.
I used olive oil but you can use your oil of preference. I think the redness comes from the chopped tomatoes. Let me know how you find it when you make it 😀😀